All building in New Zealand is required to comply with the Building Code. This is to ensure that the building is safe and secure for everyone who may use it.
Under section 40 of the Building Act 2004, a person must not carry out any building work except in accordance with a building consent. Before starting any building work, the building owner needs to work out whether or not they need a building consent. Moreover, a building that contains safety and essential systems known as specified systems need a compliance schedule. A compliance schedule is the list of all the specified systems within the building and the procedure required to keep them in good working condition.
Access-Controlled Doors is a Specified System
A Building Warrant of Fitness (BWoF) is required where a compliance schedule has been issued for a building. The BWoF must be prepared in accordance with the prescribed form in the building regulations 2004. Section 108 of the Building Act requires that a BWoF must:
- be supplied on each anniversary of the issue of compliance schedule
- state the location of the compliance schedule and associated compliance schedule reports
- state that the inspection, maintenance, and reporting procedures have been fully complied with during the previous 12 months
- have attached to it all Form 12A certificates issued by IQPs for the specified systems
- have attached to it any recommendations from an IQP to amend compliance schedule
The owner must display a copy of the BWoF in a place in the building where it can be seen by buildind users. A person who commits an offence under this section is liable on conviction to fine up to $20,000 and, in the case of a continuing offence, to a further fine not exceeding, $2000 for every day or part of a day during which the offence has continued.
These are the regular checks required by the council for access-controlled door:
- DAILY - when the building is in use for crowd occupancies (CS, CL, CO, CM) and for all building where building work is occuring that may affect an access-controlled door or an escape route
- MONTHLY - checks carried out by the owner or hired security maintenance company
- 6-MONTHLY - checks by certified company and maintenance records kept for building WOF and 12A
As a security integrator we make sure that our client's building is safe and healthy for people to enter, occupy or work in. We offer building compliance services to help our customer meet their required building compliance.
We Are Here For You
IQ is a Certified IQP Certified
Application for building compliance is initiated by the building owner, IQP person or the Council.
IQ Security has a team that holds an IQP certification. Our security engineers are IQP certified. We have received the council's qualification to inspect, report, follow requirements, support documentation and maintain systems. We can help you process your building compliance application for your access-controlled doors.